
A few weeks ago Bruno and I made our last trip down to Blacksburg for the season. It was bittersweet... We had a great time, as always, and of course with our amazing seats for the season, it's hard not to be excited to head down. But I could definitely feel my exhaustion even more this game. I would stand for a play or 2, then have to sit and rest. I missed some plays because of the people standing around me, but I couldn't help it. Of course, this was the VT/Miami game that came down to the last, exciting play. So I stood for those last 4 minutes, which in football time was at least 10 minutes, because I couldn't miss anything of these drives. It must have been the adrenaline and nerves because I didn't feel as tired during those final minutes. And sealing the win made it all worth it. But then it was time to go. We were done with our season at Tech and I was looking forward to getting back to my parents' house and relaxing. There were 2 more home games left (this past weekend and 1 in November) but thankfully, we cannot attend. My best good friend got married this past weekend, so we knew we were missing this final Saturday game regardless. The last home game of the season is on a Thursday and we just can't go down for a Thursday game this season. I'm secretly happy we couldn't go to these games because of other commitments because I really need to relax, not head down to VT.

So how about those playmates? On our way home from Blacksburg that weekend, we made a side trip to Charlottesville to visit my brother, sister-in-law and new nephew. He was born on that Thursday, so he was a mere 3 days old when we saw him. He is unbelievably cute, and a small 9lbs 1oz. (his sister was over 11 lbs) It was amazing seeing him, and doing a comparison in my mind of him and my girls. Though he was so small, I couldn't imagine my babies being as big as he is. I really hope they don't end up 9lbs each! But I held my hands out, envisioning his length, and brought my hands down to my belly. Wow, I thought. I could not fit 2 of him in my stomach! But congratulations to my brother and sister-in-law and their family. I will admit I am super pumped to FINALLY have cousins coming their way for their kids. I hope they have a blast together (and that we get to spend more time together throughout the year).
The other playmate for my girls was born a week ago. A good friend of mine was actually due on October 12, and her little girl was born on October 17. Waiting in anticipation, I finally called her on that Friday and was happy to get her voicemail.
"I hope this means you're in the hospital! Well, for good reasons of course!"
She calls me back about an hour later.
"I guess this means you're not in the hospital."
"No actually I stopped the labor process to give you a call."
"Well, I wouldn't expect anything less."
Turns out she hadn't progressed at all, and had to schedule an induction for the following week.
"It's kinda weird deciding when your baby will be born," she says.
"Oh I know. Since that's what we're doing - it's a lot of pressure!"
So we went on with our weekend. Bruno and I were actually heading down to Williamsburg for our Babymoon, but I told my friend to let me know if there was any news before then. Monday morning, still down in Williamsburg, I get on Facebook and see that she went to the hospital at 2:30am and were expecting a baby that day. YAYAY!!! A few hours later, we got the news she was born. A beautiful baby girl, a healthy 8lbs 2 oz. Way to go friend! As the excitement filled my body, a sense of nervousness, anxiety and fear did as well. Since my friend had her baby, that meant mine were just around the corner. Holy crap...
That following night it took me a while to fall asleep as all that I could think was how unprepared we were. Our nursery was hardly even started and our house is still a disaster area. How are we going to be ready to bring these girls home?!
Some days, I think we're ready. Most days, I think we're not. But ready or not, they will be coming. We are anxious and excited, but definitely scared. A few weeks ago, Bruno had asked what I was most looking forward to, being a mother. I didn't have an answer. But the other night, it hit me. I am so looking forward to them looking at me. My girls knowing who we, the parents are, and being beyond happy to see us. Sure, you can see your friends' kids, and your family's kids, but they don't look at you the same. There is no look like the ones babies give their parents. And that, will be awesome.
Being a parent is the best feeling in the world (minus the sleep deprivation)! Get ready to meet your true loves! Kaden's first year has been such a blast!
ReplyDeleteYou look amazing! So fun to follow the mommy-to-be chronicles from across the country. Hope the shower yesterday was super fun. The cake was beautiful (and yummy, I'm sure)! Chris and I send our love and think of you guys every day...
ReplyDelete