Friday, December 30, 2011

Month One




I cannot believe it. Our babies are 1 month old! That first month really flew by quickly... or well, the last 2 weeks did. The first 2 weeks went very slow I felt. It may have been because we weren't in a routine yet... Bruno and I were still sleeping in the living room on the couches, with our babies nearby. Ok, not really sleeping... but attempting to. We were up constantly and just didn't know what to do with ourselves or our girls.

The 2nd week got a little better, a routine was starting to set in. Bruno had to go back to work and my mom came to help me for the week. Initially as soon as my mom got to the house, I retreated to the bedroom and took a nap. It was heaven. Bruno and I were no longer sleeping in the living room together, but moreso taking turns sleeping in there. By the end of the week, we were sleeping in the bedroom, with the girls. Baby steps.

My sister-in-law came to help out at the end of the week and instead of napping, I went shopping. It was great to get out of the house. The night before, Bruno and I had gone to his company's holiday party and that night we were going to my softball team's holiday party. We were starting to socialize again!

The big test came the following week, where I was on my own. I was nervous, but I knew I had to do it. I wasn't always going to have help and I needed to learn. Bruno called early afternoon and said his boss told him to come home to help me. I told him I didn't want him to, that I wanted to do it myself. The day turned out great, I even gave the girls baths on my own. So I knew I could handle it and it was awesome.

So on to Month One for the girls...

Luciana Marie



From day 1 you've loved to stretch your little legs. We knew you had to be Baby A based on your constant kicking and moving around.



Your stretching out is apparent during your naps as well, making yourself comfortable wherever you are, sprawled out. You even do legs lifts, sometimes refusing to bend your knees as you lay on our laps.

You are not what one would call a quiet sleeper. Aside from your light snores, which are super cute, you also grunt, coo and make random squeaks. It cracks us up everytime. You also raise your arms often, sometimes leaving them suspended in mid-air. You often like to sleep with both arms up above your head.



In the beginning, you did hiccup a lot, also a memory of Baby A in the womb. But you've slowed down on that now, only hiccuping once in a while.

You are a big fan of your pacifier. We stayed away from these for the 1st 2 weeks, but caved when you and your sister wouldn't stop being fussy one night. And from then on, you've loved it. You only suck on the soothie though, even though we have tried other pacifiers. Hopefully you'll grow to enjoy the Virginia Tech ones!



When it comes to taking pictures, you are very calm and serene, most of the time sleeping during the session. It's awesome.

Though your naps are getting longer (4-5 hours sometimes) you are staying up after feeding for about 30 minutes. You'll spend this time looking around, observing your surroundings, often with a concerned look on your face.

You left the hospital more underweight than we were comfortable with (especially Mommy) but now you are thriving! You take the bottle (and Mommy) very quickly and can almost always make it through the bottle without taking a break. You are a loud eater, often grunting and squeaking as you eat. You like to gouge your eyes with you fingers, so often we have to move you hands because we are afraid you'll hurt yourself!

Your neck is very strong. You've been holding your head up and looking around since you were 2 weeks old. Though you don't like it when you slam your head into Mommy's collarbone! I don't like it much either.

During tummy time, your back legs move a lot, so much we almost thought you were going to roll yourself over already! Such a strong girl.

You have a good amount of hair, which helps us tell you and your sister apart!

You spent 3 weeks in Preemie diapers and we were so excited when you graduated to Newborn diapers! You are still in Newborn clothes, the 0-3mo are just a bit too big for you. But at least we are getting plenty of use out of them!

You left the hospital weighing 5lbs 4oz. You now weigh 7lbs 11oz. Great work!



Milena Mattioli



You are our little cuddle bug. It must have been because your sister took all the room in the womb, but you love to snuggle up and keep your knees tightly bent against your body. You especially love snuggling against Grandma's chest. She wears nice warm sweaters.



You are a very sound sleeper. You hardly make a peep while you're in dreamland, which Daddy loves. You tend to keep your arms close to you, only raising them like your sister every once in a while.

You do drive Daddy crazy when it comes to feeding you. It takes a few tries and a lot of patience for you to finally start eating. Daddy calls you a shark because of your jerky head movements, as if you intend on ripping that bottle to shreds. Once you finally start eating, you eat very quietly. You like to gouge your eyes out as well, and we just can't understand why!

You don't turn to your pacifier very often. If you do, it doesn't last very long and most of the time, you are perfectly content with that.

You have a very distinguishable cry. It starts soft, and ends up sounding like a 20's gangster before you get really riled up (Meh Coppers, Meh)

You hate taking pictures. Pretty much every photo session, as your sister sleeps, you are crying like crazy. You're so cute, I don't know why you don't like having your picture taken! But it makes for some hilarious pictures.



You do not like wearing socks. You always somehow manage to kick them off your feet, especially your left one. But we keep putting them on to make sure your feet stay nice and warm!

Though your naps are getting longer (4-5 hours sometimes) you are staying up after feeding for about 30 minutes. You'll spend this time looking around, observing your surroundings, often with a content and contemplative look on your face.



You don't really like tummy time that much. As soon as Mommy put you down, you almost always start crying. But you work so hard and the strength in your neck and legs are really amazing!

If you are fussing at all (which is practically never), we know a good car ride will calm you down every time. Even that time we made you get a Christmas tree even though you were starving!

You spent 3 weeks in Preemie diapers and we were so excited when you graduated to Newborn diapers! You are still in Newborn clothes, the 0-3mo are just a bit too big for you. But at least we are getting plenty of use out of them!

You left the hospital weighing 5lbs 2oz. You now weigh 7lbs 5oz. Great work!



We love you girls! What a wonderful month it has been!



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it through the first month! What a lovely write up. So happy to hear they are doing so well! :)

    ReplyDelete