Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mom doesn't want to go to the hospital either!

Week 33



Week 34


Now don't get in a panic because of the title of the post. Everything is fine. The girls are perfect. Mom is perfect. Mom just hadn't eaten lunch yet...

2 weeks ago, at our weekly dr's appointment, our doctor decided to check out the girls in an ultrasound to check their movement and breathing, instead of just listening to their heartbeats. It worked out since Bruno had come with me - he had the day off and this would be the 1st time he'd seen Dr. Berry since our first appointment. Dr. Berry will be the one delivering the twins. What's funny, that I had also told Bruno about, is that everytime I'd gone to see Dr. Berry since we scheduled our appointment, he asked me about the delivery.

"So are we delivering vaginally or c-section?"
"We decided on a c-section."
"Oh wonderful. When?"
"November 30th. With you."
"Oh ok, great. Is that a Wednesday?"
"Yes."
"Great."

No joke, we had the same conversation 3 weeks in a row. I mean, I know you have a lot of patients but you can't remember the lady with the twins?? Luckily, this last time I went, he remembered me. I think. Haha.

Anyhow, so this appointment worked out in Bruno's favor since we really only expected to hear heartbeats. Instead, we got to see our girls! Apparently there is some sort of "report card" based on the babies' movement that the doctor is evaluating. Each baby gets (1) point for breathing and (1) point for movement. Each baby needs to score (2) points per category in order to pass the exam. Apparently this can take a bit of time, sometimes up to 40 minutes per baby, in some cases. But my girls were perfect. They both breathed and moved immediately, scoring their required points in less than 5 minutes. It truly is wonderful to hear your doctor telling you that your babies are perfect. He checked the amniotic fluid, also perfect, and the appointment was over.

This week was a different story. See, we were getting a project out the door and I stayed as long as I could to just make it in time for my appointment. Of course, as soon as I get on 66, I read a sign that says there is an accident ahead, blocking all lanes. Luckily, I was able to get off onto the toll road and make my way to the appointment without any problem. I made it there on time, but didn't have time to grab any food for lunch. I was planning on eating after the appointment.

So back in the exam room, we go through the same routine. Dr. Berry gels me up and waves the wand around checking out the babies. I can see their hearts beating on the screen, so I feel good about it.

"Have they been moving around?"
"Oh yes, they were moving a lot on my way over."
"Great."

But then Dr. Berry doesn't say anything. He's just looks at the screen, going, "Hmm..."

"So when was the last time you had something to eat?"
"Um, I had 1/2 a donut on the way over."
"Well that must be it. They don't seem to be moving much, so it's probably because you haven't eaten."
"Oh I'm sorry. Had I known, I would have made certain to eat before I came."
"Oh it's fine. We'll just send you out for lunch and maybe have them check you out at the hospital."
"Um, what?"
"Just to make sure everything is ok. It's just that they were moving so much last week, right away, and now their a little slow to doing so. I'm sure it is, but just to be sure."

Then, Baby A gives a little jolt.

"Oh, there you go..." he says.

Baby A jolts again and does her breathing, and receives her perfect score. He moves over to Baby B, looks around for about 30 seconds, and then she jolts.

"Perfect!"

The nurse chimes in, "They must have heard "hospital" and decided they didn't want to go."

"Well mom doesn't want to go either!" I say.

"I apologize for being a skeptic. They're perfect."

"You're sure? Everything is good?"

"Yep. They are perfect. And your fluid is perfect. See you in a week."

Talk about heart dropping and sweaty palms. The girls had me a little scared for a minute. But all is well, and they are still moving up a storm, even as I type this. 10 more days people!

1 comment: