Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our First Big Trip!

This past weekend we took the girls on their first big trip down to Crozet for a birthday celebration for 2 of their cousins. Not only was this going to be their first long trip and first overnight stay, it was going to be their first time meeting their cousins!

My brother and his wife have been married almost 9 years, and have 4 children, the oldest about to turn 7. Remembering how fun it was to spend time with my cousins, I was very anxious for my nieces and nephews to have cousins of their own.

The girls did great on their first long car ride (about 2.5 hrs) though I didn't have any doubt that they wouldn't. They do great in the car, always... barely a stir. Once we arrived at my brother's house, the girls continued to nap, as they typically do after a long ride.

So as excited as I was for the cousins to meet, I think it was just me with the excitement.

My oldest niece walks in, and Bruno says to her, "Look Julia, it's your cousins!"

She looks down into the carseats and says, "Max (her new baby brother) is bigger," and walks off.

Haha. I guess when you're constantly surrounded by babies, as she has been, new ones "ain't no thang." I figure when they get older, she'll be more excited. I mean, how fun are 7 week old babies anyhow.



The party was great. My niece and nephew loved all their gifts and the beautiful cakes their mom made for them were delish! We spent a few hours their, hanging out with the little ones as the girls slept, and then made our way back to my parents' house. Given that it was almost 7pm by now, we were all pretty hungry and decided we needed to get some Mexican food before settling in for the night. The downfall? This was about the time that the girls needed to be fed! We usually plan our dinners out better, a bit after the girls have eaten so they just sleep through the meal. Well, our only option here was to go home and feed them, and have a pretty late meal or feed them at the restaurant. We chose the latter...

It wasn't too bad, they really are great babies. But I think there was too much stimuli so the girls took forever to eat. It was nearly impossible for us to eat as well, so we really ate cold meals after they were done. We didn't necessarily mind it, we're just going to stick to feeding them BEFORE we go out!

We did have a funny moment though... my dad was holding Luciana after she ate, burping her a bit so Bruno could eat his meal. Whilst this was going one, he felt some rumblings down below, and we all laughed about the present she was making for us. My father then lifts her up to his shoulder, exposing her back to us... and the massive poo explosion that had seeped through her outfit! Since we had just finished our meal, and were 5 minutes away from my parents' house, we decided it'd be easier to change her at home instead of the restaurant. Definitely made for a stinky ride home!





As far as sleeping arrangements go, my parents have a crib down at their house already due to all of the girls' cousins. Since we have mastered sleeping in the crib (note, not napping), we were good to go with the girls. We didn't bring the monitors, so I wanted to stay in the room with the girls so I could hear them. Well after not doing this for some time, I didn't know how hard it would be to sleep with them. They are so noisy! Poor Milena is always congested, so I could hear her nasaly breathing and Luciana was just grunting away. I didn't sleep at all... So what did we learn? Don't share a room with the kids! Haha.

Overall, the trip went very well. We had fun showing off the girls to new people, and spending time with my brother and his family. I'm hoping to have more family time with them, now that we have kids and they are moving to Richmond (slightly closer of a trip).

No comments:

Post a Comment